Monday, March 23, 2009

Boutique...but not for a week

So I was awaken by God about 2 months ago now, with a very vivid dream/vision. It was to start a boutique/sale about..well, here's some emails I sent out to some peeps here.

"Dear Elaine,
I just thought I'd share an idea that God lead me to. A couple Sunday's ago, Matt Hammet (our pastor, as you know) was talking about making a difference in my community with the things God's given me. So, here's my mission thought: I want to host a boutique. People bring their used, but great, clothes (we'd have to define sizes and whether it's just kids and women's, men's and women's, etc.) ahead of time, we post a sign, "all shirts $5 and all pants $7" (just for an example) and then all the proceeds go to Soul Care.
Here are some things I've been thinking about:
-Find a time that's potentially good for sale
-Have simple eats and drinks so people can be comfortable while they might shop
-I'd love to have it at a place where families could be encouraged to participate (whether in donating, bringing hangers, etc.)
That's the beginning of the idea. I've totally given this to the Lord and am willing to follow wear God leads on it, but not sure what that looks like right now, so thanks in advance for any thoughts etc.."

So I asked my small group and one of the ladies said she was interested. So now here's the development of it, after just a few meetings. Now granted, the YWCA is not completely all Christian, but are doing such a fabulous job of giving women hope, as is SoulCare, that I feel good about this. So, here' s some more text:

"Dear Lisa,
The Soul Care project supports women affected by domestic violence and homelessness. We exist to remind these women of their beauty and strength and to create energy for change by inspiring hope and restoring dignity. We offer a variety of events, classes and workshops which focus on creative expression, physical health, psycho-education, relaxation, meditation and social interaction. These events, classes and workshops are lead by a diverse group of women (professionals in their fields and experienced volunteers), who share a similar perspective, that whatever our life circumstance, we are more alike than we are different. We are mothers, wives, women, each with our own story and struggles. Our goal is to offer a safe,
authentic community of supporters, who walk alongside, equipping and
empowering women in need.

The Soul Care Project has been offered a home at 4848 Seminole Drive, San Diego, CA 92115. The goal is for the Soul Care House to be a beautiful, restful, environment for clients of the YWCA to come and seek inspiration and empowerment. There will be classes and groups, opportunities to enjoy quiet time in the mediation room and garden. It will be a safe place where women will find the support and friendship of one another.

The Soul Care House will host teas and retreat days for women in the community and create a Vintage Boutique to help raise money to cover it's services to women in need."

So, the next thought, after another meeting, is that I'm hosting this BENEFIT, (I love play on words...benefit...get it?) on Nov. 7 and the house should be close to finished by then. So we'll host a luncheon, an exercise activity (whether it be hip hop or some sort of dance class) the boutique and have a small little encouragement chat. It will bring women from the streets and in the program and mesh/amalgamate (for lack of a better word) them with the church ladies!!!

WHAT??!!! This is crazy and great! So, between now and then, I'm helping completely organize the "closet" portion of the ministry and take donations every 2nd and 4th Fri and then sorting and tagging etc. all getting ready for our big BENEFIT on Nov 7th. Can you pray with me?

1 comment: